It’s peak harvest season at the farmers’ markets and yesterday I shopped at two and
today another. I overbought (surprise). A great way to use a variety is to turn them into Summer Vegetable Medley. This medley contains Japanese eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, mini bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, onions and garlic. A colorful, eye appealing dish packed with flavor.
Have you seen these adorable mini bell peppers yet? I just love them. They’re tender and sweet. Slice them into rings that look great in salads or our summer vegetable medley.
I like eggplant on the soft side and tossed it into the pan after the onions softened and the garlic released is perfume to cook for a while before adding the remaining ingredients. The summer squashes, however, I like with some texture and toss them in later so they are al dente. I had a little bit of fresh mozzarella left in the refrigerator, which I pulled off in little pieces and added just before scooping the vegetable medley into the serving dish.
Oops, I forget to use the basil, but we have enough of the vegetable medley left over to serve over pasta tomorrow. I’ll round out the leftover vegetable medley with corn kernels and of course, basil! Aren’t leftovers the best???
Summer Vegetable Medley
Purchase the eggplant and squashes in similar sizes. The easiest way to cut the eggplant and squashes is lengthwise in half and lengthwise in half again. Then in ½-inch slices horizontally. The result is bite-size pieces that are pretty uniform in size and shape. Use other cheeses to garnish, such as goat cheese, Feta or grated parmesan.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 portions
- Category: Vegan/Vegetable
- Method: Saute
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion (1 small onion)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (2 large cloves)
- 1 Japanese eggplant, cut into cubes
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 1 zucchini, cut in to cubes
- 1 summer squash, cut into cubes
- 8 mini bell peppers, cored and cut into rings
- 1 ½ teaspoons coarse salt
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Use bits of fresh mozzarella, goat cheese, Feta or grated parmesan cheese and chopped basil.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Stir in the onions and cook until soft, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, just until the aroma is apparent.
- Add the eggplant and tomatoes and cook until the eggplant is soft, about 6-7 minutes.
- Stir in the zucchini, summer squash, bell peppers, salt and pepper flakes. Cook until the squash is still a little firm, al dente.
- Stir in the basil and top with cheese.