Meatloaf with Spicy Ketchup
Meatloaf can take many forms. Free form, stuffed into a loaf pan, individual mini meatloafs; or meatballs. Mini meatballs are great hors d’oeuvres, serve with a tasty dipping sauce.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 5 1/2 pounds meatloaf mix 1x
- Category: Meatloaf
- Method: Baking
1 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons hot Dijon mustard, such as Inglehoffer
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon dry oregano
1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder
3 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup breadcrumbs
3/4 cup grated onion
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons coarse mustard
1 tablespoon Italian herb seasoning
2 teaspoons minced cloves of garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 pounds ground beef (15% fat)
1 pound ground pork
1 pound ground veal
- Spicy Ketchup
- Whisk together the ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, ancho chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano and chipotle powder.
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl, add the milk and beat until frothy.
- Stir in the breadcrumbs, onion, cheese, mustard, herb seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add the meat to the bowl and knead together until thoroughly combined.
- Weigh the mixture for whatever size and shape you want:
- Large meatloaf: 2 pounds
- Mini meatloafs: 7 ounces
- Meatballs: 2 ounces
- Place on a baking tray bake in preheated oven.
- Large Meatloaf – about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds
- Fresh: 300 degrees F for one hour
- Frozen: 350 degrees F for 20 minutes, lower the heat to 300 degrees F and continue baking for 40 minutes
- Mini Meatloaf – 7 ounces each
- Fresh: 300 degrees F for 25 minutes
- Frozen: 350 agrees F for 15 minutes, lower heat to 300 degrees F for 20 minutes
- Rest for 10 minutes before slicing. This allows the meat to set.
- Meatballs – 2 ounces each
- Fresh: 350 degrees F for 12 minutes
- Frozen: 350 degrees F for 20 minutes
The optimum internal temperature is 165 degrees F.
Remove the meatloaf 10 minutes prior to the end cooking time, about 155 degrees F internal temperature, and generously glaze top and sides and cook for another 10 minutes.