Creamy Asparagus Chive Soup
A delicious Creamy Asparagus Chive Soup using whole pieces of grilled asparagus for color and texture. The chives add color and subtle onion flavor!
- Author: Trish Lobenfeld
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large Russet potato, cut into small cubes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bunches asparagus, washed and trimmed
- olive oil
- coarse salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup minced chives
Preheat the grill.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions, celery, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes to soften the vegetables.
- Add the potato and stock, bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are very soft. This will depend on the size of the potato chunks.
- In the meantime, dry the asparagus, drizzle a little olive oil and a sprinkling of salt over the spears and toss to coat well.
- Place the spears on the grill and cook, turning once. Depending on the thickness of the spears, this can take 2 minutes or more. The asparagus should still be firm and bright green.
- Remove and cut into bite-size pieces on the bias and reserve for the puréed soup.
- Purée the soup in batches in a food processor or blender, or use an immersion blender in the saucepan, until smooth.
- Add the asparagus, cream and chives to the soup and reheat, if necessary.
Roast the asparagus in a preheated oven (350 degrees F) until crisp/tender, about 10 minutes for medium asparagus, in lieu of grilling.