Mediterranean Braised Lamb Shanks
A flavorful Mediterranean Braised Lamb Shank recipe for the slow cooker. Cook the day before to allow the flavors to come together and to let the fat set for easy removal.
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 45 mins
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Lamb
- Method: Stew/Braise
- 8 Lamb shanks
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if needed
- 2 cups diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 8 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes, not packed in oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons dried herbes de Provence
- Pinch saffron
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup stock or water
- ¼ cup pitted and sliced Nicoise olives
- ¼ chopped rosemary, thyme and parsley
- zested lemon peel
- Generously season both sides of the lamb shanks.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven and brown the lamb shanks in batches.
- Add a little more oil if needed and stir in the onions, celery, carrots and garlic. Cover and sweat for 5 minutes, stirring once.
- Add the wine, sundried tomatoes, mustard, herbes de Provence and saffron, stir to combine, bring to a boil and reduce by three-quarters.
- Stir in the tomatoes and stock/water. Add the lamb shanks, cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, until fork tender.
- Combine the olives, herbs and lemon peel. Plate the lamb and sprinkle the garnish over the top.
Keywords: stew, braise, lamb stew, slow cooking