Sometimes I don’t want to work too hard to make dinner. I don’t want to go out to eat and I don’t want takeout, which is usually disappointing. The fact that it has to travel takes away from the
freshness and reheating it doesn’t make it better. When I spotted veal stew meat in the store the other day, I was in one of those moods. But, when you can use the slow cooker and take advantage of the some of the prepped vegetables, such as the peeled baby onions I spotted, it makes life very easy. I had carrots and sundried tomatoes at home. Veal Stew with Sun-dried Tomatoes!
I prefer not to brown the veal. The pieces are small and tender and browning dries it out. Peel a few large carrots and cut in 1-inch pieces and brown over high heat in butter and oil (about a tablespoon of each) with the peeled onions. Sprinkle a couple of teaspoons each kosher salt and herbes de Provence over the vegetables, add a cup of sundried tomatoes (not packed in oil) and a cup of dry wine (red or white). Bring to a boil and reduce by half. Add one cup reconstituted demi glace from More than Gourmet or stock if you don’t have demi glace, and braise for six hours on low.
One of my favorite ingredients to add to a veal stew is peas, but my husband hates them. I’ll steam some haricots verts for him and make myself a side of peas sautéed in butter with scallions and tarragon – super delicious – but he’ll never know!
Serve the stew over noodles or along side some ravioli.Print
Veal Stew with Sun-dried Tomatoes
A easy recipe with minimal ingredients – takes only minutes to prepare, the slow cooker does the rest. Use frozen baby onions if you can’t find fresh or don’t want to peel them.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 6 portions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup baby onions, peeled, or use frozen
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup sundries tomatoes, oil free
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup demi glace or stock
- 2 pounds veal stew meat
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- Melt the butter in the oil over medium-high heat large Dutch oven the insert of a slow cooker.
- Add the onions and carrots and sweat for 4 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Stir in the tomatoes, herb seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Add the wine and reduce by one-half.
- Stir in the demi glace or stock.
- Add the meat, stir to combine, cover and and cook on low for six hours in a slow cooker or on the stovetop on very low heat for 1 1/2 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in the peas and let cook for 2 minutes.