Quick and easy Tuscan kale and bean soup is a hearty vegan recipe. It’s also dairy-free, gluten-free and fits a paleo diet! If you can’t find Tuscan or Lacinto kale, substitute escarole or any other hearty green.
Chop your vegetables small so a few different pieces fit on the spoon at once for best flavor and enjoyment.
Rinse and drain the kale or greens and coarsely chop.
Don’t overcook the greens to maintain a vibrant green and slight texture.
If you’re family doesn’t favor meatless dishes, simply brown 1 pound of loose sausage in the oil before sweating the aromatics or add 3 cups shredded cooked chicken at the end.
A little grated Asiago cheese makes a delicious garnish.
Watch the Tuscan Kale and Bean Soup Video Here.
Tuscan Kale and Bean Soup
This is a quick and easy soup to make. If you can’t find Tuscan or Lacinto kale, substitute escarole or any other hearty green. If you’re family doesn’t favor meatless dishes, simply brown 1 pound of loose sausage in the oil before sweating the aromatics or add 3 cups shredded cooked chicken at the end. Parmesan cheese on top is optional!
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 two-cup servings
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups stock or water
- 1 can (x ounces) fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 bunch washed, trimmed and coarsely chopped Tuscan kale, or other hearty green
- 1 can (19 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Garnish: freshly grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Heat the oil in a 7-quart Dutch oven or large heavy-bottomed saucepan, with a cover, over medium heat.
- Note: If you choose to use sausage in the soup cook in the hot oil until browned, using a wooden spoon to break the sausage in to a small crumble.
- Stir in the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, salt and pepper; cover and sweat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Lower the heat a little if the vegetables are browning.
- Add the stock and tomatoes, bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and kale or other greens, return to a boil, lower the heat and cook another 8 minutes or until the greens are tender, but not soft.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if you like.
- Serving Size: two cups