Arugula and spinach are plentiful at the farmers markets now. Reach how to clean and store these stemmed greens and make a vibrant and delicious trip-color salad. As a bonus, we’ve included an extra recipe for parmesan crisps.
Arugula has dark green, small leaves with a peppery flavor that goes very well with other bitter greens, such as radicchio and endive. These are the classic lettuces used in a tri-color salad. The balsamic vinaigrette adds a little sweetness, a great foil for the bitter greens.
The parmesan are so easy to make. Just spread 2 tablespoons of finely grated cheese on in rounds on a lined sheet pan and bake until golden brown. For a little twist, use a crank or two of cracked pepper on each. Let them cook and firm up. Add to the salad for a beautiful presentation.
Click here for our Wilted Spinach Salad video.
Watch our Tri-Color Salad with Parmesan Crisps Here:
Today we’re making a classic Italian tri-color salad, arugula, radicchio and endive, with a balsamic
- ½ cup grated Asiago cheese
- freshly ground pepper, optional
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with silicon or parchment paper
- Drop 2 tablespoons for each crisp onto the tray about 2 inches apart.
- Spread the cheese into a circle with the back of the measuring spoon.
- Sprinkle with a little freshly ground pepper, if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool and serve with salad.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon good balsamic vinegar
- 1 smashed garlic clove
- pinch of coarse salt
- a few turns of the pepper mill
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup chopped radicchio
- 1 cup sliced endive
- salt and pepper
- Shaved asiago or Asiago crisp
- Put the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic clove, salt and pepper in a sealed jar. Let sit, refrigerated, for a couple of hours.
- Put the arugula, radicchio and endive in a salad bowl. Season with a pinch of salt and a couple of turns of the peppermill.
- Remove the garlic from the vinaigrette, reseal the jar and shake well.
- Pour over the greens and toss.
- To garnish shave a few pieces of Asiago over the salad or with the Asiago crisps on the side.