When I was thinking about a limeade mocktail for this blog I decided to make it with seltzer (club soda or any sparkling water is fine, too), but when I tasted the first batch, it seemed too ordinary. I had some strawberries in the refrigerator and pureed up a bunch, I mean a whole quart. The color was almost neon red and the flavor combinations didn’t blend well.
The next time, I started with a cup, always err on the side of less, as more can be added. It’s just perfect, the lesser amount of strawberries impart a different acidity and a sweetness that complements the lime and provides a lovely blush of pink.
- 1 cup hulled and quartered strawberries
- 1 cup cold water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- freshly grated peel of one lime
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 cups ice water or sparkling water
- Garnish: thin slices of lime or a small strawberry
- Puree the strawberries in a blender with the water, sugar and lime juice. Let this sit for an hour to optimize flavor. Pour water or sparkling water into the pitcher and add the juice. Stir gently to combine.
- For the martini, use 2 ounces strawberry-lime juice, 1½ ounces Vodka (I used Kettle One) and 3 ounces seltzer. Garnish the martini glass with a slice of lime and/or a small strawberry.