We’ve come to the end of Lesson 1 and you’ve learned how to mince and dice lots of vegetables. If you’ve been actively following along, you now have the ingredients needed to make our delicious Lemony Chickpea & Spinach Soup!
Watch the video!
The soup is chockful of vegetables: onions, carrots, celery, red bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic, and spinach. The chickpeas offer a little heartiness and the lemon a nice refreshing tang at the end.
To give you an even bigger incentive to make this soup, we’re including an informative and comprehensive article on spinach, a superfood, written by Sujana Marie from Cooking Detective. Check it out.
The soup is gluten free and dairy free (just skip the cheese garnish). This is a great soup to send the kids off to school with and don’t forget to take a thermos along to the office!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups minced onion (1 large onion)
- 1 cup minced carrots (4 carrots)
- 1 cup minced celery (4 stalks)
- red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large jalapeno, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced cloves of garlic (about 2 large cloves)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cans (x ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 ten-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach
- Optional garnish: freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven pan over medium heat.
- Stir in the onions, carrots, celery, pepper, salt and pepper flakes. Cover and sweat for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally; if the onions are browning, lower the heat a bit.
- Stir in the garlic and jalapeno and cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the stock, chickpeas and spinach, bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice and zest.
- Garnish each bowl with a little freshly grated Parmesan cheese, optional.