We are doing a series of video releases over the next 100 days or so. Today we’re featuring a Black Bean and Barley Salad.
Cold salads are a welcome addition to the summer table. They are made ahead and served cold or at room temperature. I’m always looking for different ways to use fresh corn. The season is so short and canned or frozen corn is no comparison to the freshly picked cob. So, in addition to eating corn off the cob, I put it in lots of salads. It’s great in mashed avocadoes. Creamed corn, gently simmered in shallots and cream with some fresh tarragon is also another great way to use corn. And, of course, don’t forget corn chowder!
Try this quick and easy Black Bean and Barley Salad. Make a double portion – leftovers are great!
Watch the Video Here:
- 2 ears corn kernels
- 3 cups cooked barley (1 cup dry barley)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bell pepper, diced (any color you like)
- ¾ cup minced red onion
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 2 avocadoes, cut into bite-size cubes
- Either steam, roast or grill the corn. Let cool a bit and then remove the kernels, scrapping the cob with the knife blade to remove the corn milk, too.
- Combine the corn, barley, beans, pepper, onion, jalapeno, avocado and cilantro in a large serving bowl.
- Shake the dressing, pour over the salad and toss.
- Serve at room temperature.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Combine the oil, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a jar.